Red Feather Lodge

Home | Classifieds | Place an Ad | Public Notices | Galleries | Opinions | Obituaries | Contact Us | Subscribe | e-newsletter | RSS | GrandCanyonTourGuide.com
Williams News | Williams, Arizona

home : features : features August 19, 2014


10/2/2012 10:50:00 AM
St. John's celebrates 100 years in Williams
Rev. Johnson welcomes all to celebrate church's centennial anniversary
St. Johnís Episcopal-Lutheran Church Deacon Dayl Bingell and Rev. Ann Johnson stand outside St. John's. The church will celebrate its 100th anniversary Sunday. David Yankus/WGCN
St. Johnís Episcopal-Lutheran Church Deacon Dayl Bingell and Rev. Ann Johnson stand outside St. John's. The church will celebrate its 100th anniversary Sunday. David Yankus/WGCN
David Yankus/WGCN
David Yankus/WGCN

David Yankus
Reporter


WILLIAMS, Ariz. - St. John's Episcopal-Lutheran Church celebrates 100 years of serving the community of Williams this Sunday beginning with church service at 10:30 a.m. The service will feature a visit from Bishop Kirk Smith, a baptism, and new members being brought into the Church. A luncheon will immediately follow, as well as a music concert for the entire community and a reception at 2 p.m. Everyone in the community is invited.

The Reverend Ann Johnson said they would also have special guests joining them from the Holbrook and Winslow areas to help in their all day celebration and Sunday morning service at the century old Church located at 202 West Grant Avenue.

"They're going to come over and start the service with a Native American opening ceremony," said Johnson. "We're excited that they'll be participants in the service."

St. John's was first established as an Episcopal Church in 1912. They originally met in the Methodist Church, the Opera House, and the Fray Marcos Hotel (which was a Harvey Hotel and is now the Grand Canyon Railway Station). The first formal structure was built near the intersection of Seventh Street and Grant Avenue. The congregation outgrew this original structure, as well as its second building, and by 1952 a new church was erected.

This 1952 structure is the current site of St. John's Episcopal-Lutheran Church. During construction of St. John's, Christ's Episcopal Church in Jerome, Ariz. was being disassembled. The Jerome congregation donated the stained glass windows, altar, pews, baptismal font and hardwood flooring to the Williams congregation. Individual members of St. John's transported the furnishings.

In 1980, St. John's Episcopal Church joined with the local Lutheran congregation to become one church family.

"The congregation was an Episcopal congregation until the 1980s when the Lutheran Church joined it," Johnson said. "And since then it's been a combined congregation."

The Episcopal Church was close to being disassembled itself in 1980, so they joined with the Lutheran Church out of necessity at first, just to remain open. The mutually beneficial relationship has been going strong now for over 30 years.

The new dual fellowship received national attention for this innovative union. Church members chose "Two in heritage, One in Christ" as their motto.

"We were one of the first, if not the first, in the United States to combine Lutheran and Episcopal Churches," said Dayl Bingell, ordained deacon and retired priest.

According to Bingell, they were also one of the first Church's to employ a woman pastor.

In 1975, a fire raged through Walker Hall (the parish hall added to the building in 1962) gutting the structure and causing heavy smoke damage to the rest of the church. Members worked diligently the following weeks to clean and paint the church, as well as work with contractors to make the remodeled hall even more useful.

In 1989, St. John's began the process of becoming a "Total Ministry" church. In this type of ministry, all members share in the business and work of the church. This creative concept placed St. John's in the spotlight once again. During this time members were not paid for their services, they voluntarily contributed their time and talents to the good of the blossoming congregation.

The church family called two local members to become priest and deacon; Bingell was one of those members. After 15 years as deacon and priest, Bingell retired in 2006. Bishop Smith appointed Johnson St. John's new vicar in 2006. She was ordained deacon in 2006 and priest in 2007.

So come celebrate the rich history and diverse heritage of this long-time Williams congregation on Sunday, and hope for another 100 years.

For more information on the 100th anniversary celebration or the church itself, contact St. John's at (928) 635-2781.


    Recently Commented    
Control burn out of control
From A to D: Arizona Department of Education releases area school ratings
Williams Unified School District teachers and staff take part in Capturing Kids' Hearts training
Williams-Grand Canyon News to offer Washington Post digital content free to subscribers
Composer Ted Nichols, known for his Scooby Doo and Flintstones scores, continues his varied musical career from his home in Williams




Article Comment Submission Form
Comments are not posted immediately. Submissions must adhere to our Use of Service Terms of Use agreement. The email and phone info you provide will not be visible to the public.Rambling or nonsensical comments may not be posted. Comments are limited to 1300 characters or less. In order for us to reasonably manage this feature we may limit your comment entries to five(5) per day.
Submit an Article Comment
First Name:
Required
Last Name:
Required
Telephone:
Required
Email:
Required
Comment:
Required
Passcode:
Required
Anti-SPAM Passcode Click here to see a new mix of characters.
This is an anti-SPAM device. It is not case sensitive.
   


Advanced Search

HSE - We want to hear from you
Find more about Weather in Williams, AZ
Click for weather forecast






Find It Features Blogs Milestones Submit Extras Other Publications
Home | Classifieds | Place an Ad | Public Notices | Galleries | Opinions | Obituaries | Contact Us | Subscribe | e-newsletter | RSS | Site Map
Superior Propane

© Copyright 2014 Western News&Info, Inc.® Williams-Grand Canyon News is the information source for Williams, Arizona and surrounding communities. Original content may not be reprinted or distributed without the written permission of Williams GC Newspapers Inc. Williams News Online is a service of Williams GC Newspapers Inc. By using the Site, williamsnews.com ®, you agree to abide and be bound by the site's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy, which prohibit commercial use of any information on the site. Click here to submit your questions, comments or suggestions. Williams News Online is a proud publication of Western News&Info Inc.® All Rights Reserved.

Software © 1998-2014 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved